Aum… Aum… Aum…
Have you tried a yoga class where they make you do an AUM?
Or does it go Ohmmmm?
I’m a big believer in the A-U-M variety.
Maybe someday there will be a war over how to pronounce it.
At the moment, I’m not going to care.. It sounds good no matter how you say it.
In his AUM section there’s all sorts of triads that the three letters are supposed to represent. That’s nice, and I’m not going to make a big deal out of it.
But there’s also something big that each triad represents. You can go to the last post for the triads. Here I’m just jotting down the big stuff. Here’s the triads:
- speech, mind, and breath, or
- length, breadth and depth, or
- absence of desire, fear, and anger, or
- masculine, feminine, and neuter, or
- sattva, rajas, and tamas, or
- past, present, and future, or
- teachings of mother, father, and Guru,
- or asana, pranayama, and pratyahara, or
- Creator, Maintainer, and Destroyer, or
- the mantra Tat Twam Asi meaning “That Thou Art”
Now, here’s the big stuff:
- All Conscious States, (very similar to number 9)
- Living Spirit,
- Perfect (Hu)Man
- Self Knowledge,
- Samadhi, (very similar to number 1)
- Realization of Self Divinity
That seems like quite a bit to load onto a single sound, doesn’t it?
It’s still just a sound.